DIY Circle Skirt Reboot!

11 August 2016

Hi guys! I have another repost for you. It's been a little gloomy here lately and I'm dreaming of Fall! I don't know why but in my brain this skirt is a fall skirt. I love it so much that as soon as I get home I'm going to dig it out and wear it tomorrow.

I hope you enjoy and give it a try!
Happy Thursday!


  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

October 14, 2015

This weekend Blake and I are celebrating our birthdays in Beaver Creek. Our birthdays are about 2 weeks apart so it's fun to plan a trip or something for us to do together instead of big gifts... although presents do make things even sweeter ;)  But while were up here we're spending our time hiking, drinking a lot of wine, and eating a lot of pizza. My favorite things!

Today we went on a little picnic in this pretty park, people watched and drank. Juuuust as we were getting comfy and tipsy the sprinklers all went off. That's what you get for tryin' to be cute!

I was getting a little sick of the Van Morrison pandora station Blake chose but it was an abrupt ending to our little trip.

Anyway, while we were out we shot some pictures for this weeks DIY Friday tutorial! I always feel really stupid when people are walking by and I'm posing by a lamp post or something and Blake is taking weird "artsy" pictures through branches. Buuut oh well! Im sure I'll get over it someday.

This tutorial is for the simplest project you'll ever do! This skirt can easily be completed in under an hour. I love this skirt because the texture makes it easy to carry you from summer to fall and even to winter (especially if you've somewhere warmer).

I found this fabric at JoAnn's and knew I wanted it but wasn't sure what to do with it. Sometimes I just walk around carrying the bolts with me hoping the inspiration hits me before I have to leave. I have a rule about buying fabric without a purpose.. it saves me a lot of money. This is a knit but its a little heavier since its quilted. It does make it a bit harder to get though your sewing machine, especially near the zipper but it's nothing you can't handle!





Tutorial

Materials: 

1.5 yards heavy knit for quilted knit
Matching thread
6 inch zipper 

Step 1. Follow the formula above to find the circumference of your waist. Mark the center of the fold and measure out from there to get your waist cut out. Measure down from there to make the skirt as long as you'd like. For reference, I cut my skirt 17 inches long.  Use your waist measurement to find the length you need for you waistband. Cut this out as well. 

Step 2. Find the center of your skirt and cut a 4.5 inch slit to allow for the zipper. This also makes installing your waistband easier. 

Step 3. Iron out your waistband and fold it in half hotdog style, iron and then fold the raw edges in about 1 cm and iron again. Now you should have a nice uniform waistband piece. It should be about 2 inches tall when folded. 

Step 4. Pin your skirt and waistband together, putting the skirt piece into the fold and securing. It may start to look a little wavy when you get about halfway through but just try to keep track of how fabric you're pinning into the fold. 

Step 5. Sew along the bottom of the waistband, then hem the skirt and iron everything out again. 

Step 6. Install your zipper! You're done!!

See, so easy!!! 

Be sure to tag me in any photos if you try this skirt for yourself. I promise you'll love it! 



Post a Comment

Copyright © Menter + Co.
Design by Fearne