DIY FRIDAY : Cold Shoulder Fringe Top

03 June 2016

It's FriYAY! 
I thought that this week was going to fly by - but nope. I can not believe how long it took to get to Friday! But finally it's here and I'm thrilled! This weekend will be pretty relaxed. We might go for a little hike, swing by a farmers market and then a bbq with some of our really close friends and family.

I have been drooling over this top since I saw it one Instagram about two months ago. I was tempted to just buy it but I was really curious about the fringe so I decided to give it a go myself. It was definitely time consuming but it was worth it! I love how it turned out and I think its so cute. 

I might even wear it to the bbq this weekend so  be prepared for another instagram post ;) I hope you guys aren't sick of them! SO! Apart from the time consuming fringing - this top is so easy! It's very similar to this off the shoulder dress from a while ago if you want to take a look at that too. 
Anyway, we'll get to it but I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend and I'll be back Monday!




-- Materials -- 

1 Yard of lightweight denim 
Matching thread 
3/4 inch elastic 

-- Instructions --

Step 1. Measure yourself around where the tops elastic will sit. Take that measurement and make it longer by 1/4 of the length you want at the end. Now measure the length you want and mark those measurements on the reverse side of the denim. Cut out your two bodice pieces. Now measure your arms and do the same  thing. You want to sleeves to be bell shaped so exaggerate the bottom side of the sleeve pieces a little more. See the image above for guidance. 

Step 2. Sew you two bodice pieces together right sides together. 

Step 3. Sew your arm pieces into tubes. 

Step 4. fold the top inch of fabric over and stitch along the very bottom of the fold. Don't close the stitch and leave enough open to thread elastic through. Cut your elastic to fit comfortably around your body and thread it through using a safety pin. Close the stitch. 

Step 5. Repeat step 4 for the sleeves. 

Step 6. Flip everything right side out and line up your seams. Do a vertical stitch along the seams to attach your sleeves to the top. Back stitch a few times to keep  them in place. 

Step 7. This is the time consuming part! With denim there are vertical and horizontal pieces all woven together. To get this fringe look we have to remove the bottom inch and half or so of horizontal pieces. Using a seam ripper, slowly pull the horizontal pieces down until you can grab them and pull them completely out. You will end up with a huge pile of  thread and you will get really really tired of pulling all of them out. But! Its worth it because it turns out so cute! 

That's all! And if you don't want to spend a few hours making your own fringe I have linked the original top that this one is a copy of an a few other cute ones that I like! 

I hope you guys enjoy and I would love to see the ones that you guys make so tag me in your instas! 
Have the best weekend! 



1 comment

  1. I love the chambray look this has, very summery and perfect for July 4th!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Menter + Co.
Design by Fearne